I meet buyers and sellers on a regular basis. Sometimes those considering selling in the near future will often ask if what projects are worth spending money on to improve their property for sale.
Here are ten outdoor projects that will improve your homes appeal for yourself and buyers down the road.
1. Add or Refinish A Deck – It’s hard to enjoy your outdoor space without a proper place to kick back and relax in. Patio’s are also a good choice, creating living space outdoors has big appeal.
2. Give It A Makeover With Paint – The exterior of your house looking a bit tired? Sometimes a good power wash is all that’s needed. If not, painting the exterior of your home will have big impact and curb appeal. Need some inspiration? Check out Foolproof Exterior Paint Colors.
3. Upgrade Your Front Yard – If pulling up to your home at the end of the day gives you anxiety because your yard is a mess, it’s probably time for an overhaul. Consider adding a garden. Not only will it add color and do wonders to upgrade your curb appeal but less water and maintenance are just two additional benefits of ditching your thirsty lawn for a more native garden.
4. Hide Your Air Conditioning Unit – While you’re upgrading your yard, take the time to use a natural barrier to hide your air conditioning unit. There are some great bushes, like hydrengeas, that grow just tall enough and wide enough to conceal the unit.
5. Install A New Doorbell – Though it’s a small detail, a doorbell makes a big first impression. Plus, it’s a relatively low-cost, high-impact update to an exterior.
6. Reseal Your Asphalt Driveway – Sometimes your driveway just needs a new face. In fact, asphalt driveways should be resealed every two years. The cost isn’t bad, between 10 and 25 cents per square foot, and the result can make a huge difference.
7. Replace Those Cushions - Have your exterior cushions seen better days? Replace them with something bright and inviting that will inspire you to spend more time outside.
8. Use Potted Plants – Adding large potted plants by your front door, porch, deck and patio is a great way to add a splash of color and make your outdoor space very inviting.
9. Add Solar Lighting – Running solar lights is an inexpensive way to create a great look when the sun goes down. Run them from your driveway along the walkway to your front door. You can also use two to highlight a specific natural feature.
10. Paint Your Front Door – Simply painting your front door an attractive an complementary color to your exterior is a huge plus! There are so many great colors to choose from. Get inspired here. Even if you don’t want to change the color, just adding a fresh coat of paint goes a long way.